How do you give relationship advice
Let's talk about ... relationship tips from friends "If I were you, I would split up!"
Analyzing foreign relationships and giving tips is not always smart. Couples therapist Oliviero Lombardi explains why advice is always blows and how you react to unsolicited love tips.
Stuttgart - First of all, advice is also a blow. So you have to be very careful and not give advice or relationship tips unless specifically asked. If a friend howls your ears, then the instruction in the subtext is that you should listen and agree - but not “give me advice”. This is often misunderstood and advice is given with good intent, which can also lead to irritation if the other person does not react as one imagines. This is primarily about perception, sympathy and confirmation. If one expects the other to listen to the advice, it is easy to be disappointed. For example, repeatedly advising your friends to break up and then nothing happens can be frustrating. As with any feedback, the first thing you should ask is whether the person even wants advice and can cope with it.
"Pack strikes itself, pack is compatible"
If you notice that your girlfriend's partner is cheating, for example, or even being hit on by him, you have to be careful with this situation. Because “Pack beats, Pack gets along” - and in the end, as a third party, you suffer. It is often the case that one takes one side and shows solidarity, and scolds the cheating partner. When the couple gets along and reconciles, the friendship can be disrupted and oppressive. Problems can also arise if the previously hostile partner gets wind of it.
If you are friends with a couple and discover a betrayal, you should check who you are more loyal to. If you are closer to a person, you should address the problem cautiously, as he is entitled to expect the truth. If you are in a conflict of loyalty and are close to both, I would justify that in the same way if the betrayal comes to light. Friends should understand that. Otherwise I would also reconsider friendship.
No council without a mandate
If you get feedback yourself, you should check whether you like and want to interfere. If it is not appropriate, you should speak openly about it and say that you cannot tolerate it at the moment. You shouldn't make a good face at the bad game, but orientate yourself as early as possible according to your own needs and report back to the other person how you want to deal with problems.
It is important that you always ask very clearly about the mandate: May I say something, give advice, get involved. Incidentally, this is exactly the same as a counselor and therapist, because without an assignment you burn your fingers - apart from the effort you have made.
Click here for Oliviero Lombardi's website
Is Sex With Your Ex A Good Idea? How do you overcome lovesickness? And what is to be made of coitus interruptus? Every Sunday our columnists write on the subject of love, sex and the intimate. Read more of the "Let's talk about ..." column here:
“You are like your mother!” - Parents and their influence on our love life
Back to the Ex - Are Warmed Up Relationships Better?
Quarantine, arguments and opportunities: what Corona does to our relationships
Why you can't find Prince Charming online
- What are symptoms of Campylobacter infection
- What drives the growth of a city
- Why are Americans so naive about Canada?
- Latin completely ignored word order
- Has Erlang functors
- Why is punk rock no longer popular
- Nestle is an Indian brand
- How did Zulily grow so fast
- Features and benefits of MongoDB
- If one-sided love succeeds
- What is market share analysis
- What are the worst movie endings of all time
- You can do an MBA at the same time as engineering
- Are children afraid of Donald Trump
- What are some nifty Halloween decorations
- Has anyone tried any unusual smoothie ingredients?
- Is the Greek and Indian mythology true
- Should I move to Southeast Asia
- Why can't I learn VIM
- How do you say ruthless in German
- What religions do gods share
- How is Israel's image in Greece?
- Who does Wolverine fear most
- Should I be a music producer?
- What is the full form of ACS
- Academically, that's the strength of Harvard University
- How does Xi Jing Ping consolidate power
- What is the molecular formula of hemoglobin
- What is the religion of Advaita Vedanta followers
- How do I deal with seizure patients
- Is meditation powerful? What are good examples
- Why is Twitter as addicting as Facebook
- Are doorman immune to certain legal effects
- What is George Soros known for?