Sits well or badly for a long time
The buttocks muscles suffer so much when you sit all day
If you get up after sitting for a long time, you will likely notice that your back is sore and certain muscles, such as the hip flexor, are tense.
What happens to your butt when you sit for so long and what you can do about it, the movement medicine specialist Dan Giordano told 'self'.
The bottom is not used when sitting
"When you sit all day, the glutes are essentially switched off," explains Giordano.
Because the glutes affect hip movement, pelvic rotation, and pelvic stability, what is bad for the butt is also bad for the entire body. After all, everything is connected.
And since the glutes are needed for so many movements in daily life and workout, keeping them healthy is worth it.
Sitting all the time is so harmful
Sitting for long periods of time, especially in poor posture (which the vast majority of us do, according to Giordano), will tighten the hip flexors. This prevents activation of the gluteal muscles. "When this happens, the pelvis cannot rotate forward, resulting in a contusion in the lower back that can cause back pain," says Giordano.
If such a bad posture is not changed over time, it can lead to chronic pain. Of course, after a few weeks or months of sitting most of your day, you are unlikely to notice any negative effects. “But after a while the damage starts to add up,” says the expert.
Sitting can affect the entire body
"If the hips or buttocks are not working properly, it can increase the pressure on the knees and ankles," says Giordano. If the big buttock muscle cannot support its weight, the pressure and the force shift to such weaker areas, because muscles always support each other.
Weak bum can interfere with training
Buttocks are not properly stressed when seated, and over time it weakens them. The phenomenon known as "muscular atrophy" can contribute to the failure of strength training to build a strong and full bum.
Quite apart from the fact that squats and co. Feel much heavier with those who sit a lot than with people who also put more stress on their buttocks in everyday life. The result: you have to push yourself a lot more to continue training.
Improve posture and exercise regularly
To prevent the problems, you can optimize your posture while sitting, among other things.
- Adjust your chair so your hips are slightly above your knees.
- Make sure your lower back is supported, either with a sturdy chair back or a pillow.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed but sit up straight. The head should be directly under the shoulders.
- The computer should be at eye level or a little below. If it is too low, the head will lean forward.
- The best way to position your elbows is at table height. Make sure you are close enough to your desk not to have to reach for the keyboard.
- If you find that you start the working day with a decent posture, but as the day progresses you slump more and more into yourself, you should include several small breaks in which you run around and stretch.
Regular workouts can also counteract the effects of long periods of sitting. Giordano recommends Pilates to strengthen the core and improve posture. Barre classes, which work the hips and glutes, were also great for those who sit all day.
The expert has another simple tip that immediately helps against a flat bottom: "You can also simply press the gluteal muscles into the seat to activate them."
- Are Shopclues products reliable or not
- What is a civil war
- Saves Audible money on books
- Why do bakers put yeast in flatbreads
- How many episodes does Naruto Shippuden have
- Why do my blackheads look like bumps
- Academically, that's the strength of Harvard University
- Flappy Bird has been deleted
- How do Braxton Hicks contractions feel?
- Eat durian fruit
- Who killed Illuminati
- What is Debbie Gibson's best song
- Likes Suga IU
- Will women vote for Hillary Clinton?
- Why is Finnish so difficult
- I have to change my job as soon as possible
- Meditate Agent 47 1
- How to clean grout stains
- Are brave and not brave people alike
- Can an introvert be a master communicator
- Why are fireworks illegal in Arizona
- How do I win my husband
- How many reactions are there in chemistry?
- I am so afraid for my future