What is alcoholic fermentation
The microbial breakdown of carbohydrates takes place under anaerobic (oxygen-free) conditions via the fermentation process. Microorganisms constantly need new energy to maintain and divide cells. By utilizing saccharides (carbohydrates), the universal energy carrier ATP can be obtained through various reactions. If the cell has enough oxygen molecules in its environment, two effective processes take place with the citric acid cycle and the respiratory chain. If, however, there is a lack of oxygen, the cells cannot generate energy through these processes. Fermentation can still be used to produce ATP.
For 8,000 years, humans have made use of the breakdown processes of yeast. Beer and wine are ultimately the product of fermented carbohydrates like barley, wheat, or (in the case of wine) grapes. The fermentation process produces ethanol, better known as alcohol, as a by-product. For the yeast, however, ethanol is only a metabolic end product, i.e. it is useless for its own metabolism, which is why the yeast cells release it to the outside.
Ethanol also acts as a cell poison. From a concentration of approx. 20%, the yeast cells die, so high-proof alcoholic beverages can only be obtained through additional distillation.
The production of energy under anerobic conditions has far-reaching consequences for the cells. Only 2 ATP molecules are produced from one glucose molecule. For comparison: aerobic respiration produces 38 ATP. The yeast cells inevitably slow down their reproduction in an oxygen-free environment.
- Why do bakers put yeast in flatbreads
- Will Amazon make its own cinema
- Why is Mahendra International School the best
- Why doesn't Valverde play Denis Suarez
- Who defeated Napoleon Bonaparte in 1815
- What is the best zodiac sign for Leo
- Larynx cancer can spread
- Which tool is best for VB NET
- When was the Microsoft computer invented?
- Are you watching ME TV
- How to clean grout stains
- Which word starts with mn
- What makes people Trumpians
- Public transport How are underground lines designed
- What is his favorite book series
- Are toxicological reports drawn up on all deaths
- Why do people reply to goodbye emails
- Which NBA team has the worst fans?
- What is waiting time in health insurance
- How do I reset the TPMS light
- How is Kesha Roses my own dance
- Should a sump pit be sealed
- What is the history of the Parisian baguette
- How do happiness and love feel?