Which woods color best
Coloring wood: the right method for every application
Depending on the desired result, there are different ways of coloring wood. If the natural wood grain is to be retained, staining or glazing is recommended. For an opaque coat of paint, the wood can be varnished or painted with acrylic paint.
Before you give the wood a new color, the old paint or other treatments and dirt must be removed. In some cases it is advisable to prime the wood in order to achieve the desired result.
Untreated wood can be colored darker by natural dyes such as coffee or tea. As a result, the grain also emerges more clearly, which emphasizes the natural look of the wood even more. In order to maintain the color result for a long time, treatment with a wax-based wood care product should be carried out after coloring.
Wood can be colored in a variety of ways. With the right color and method, it can colored, lighter, darker or painted white become. Depending on the processing, the coating becomes opaque or allows the grain of the wood to shine through. In order for the result to be as desired, however, the wood should be left untreated or removed from previous treatments by sanding or stripping. For some colors, the wood should be treated with a primer before being stained.
1. How can you stain wood?
There are different methods to protect the surface of the wood or to give it an appealing color. While you are staining and glazing the Emphasize the natural texture of the wood paints or varnishes are the better choice for an opaque coat of paint. The following table provides an overview of the various methods." More information
|method||Effect and result|
|Pickling||When staining wood, the color of the wood is changed through a chemical process and the grain is emphasized. Stains are available in the common wood colors but also in many bright colors.|
|Glaze||Glazes penetrate deep into the wood and offer good UV protection. Therefore, they are also well suited for outside staining of wood. The grains are not covered, but emphasized even more clearly. A wide range of colors from light to dark is also available here.|
|paint||With varnish you can paint the surface of the wood in all imaginable colors. A coat of varnish provides special protection for the wood and is therefore also well suited for outside use. However, with the exception of clear varnish, you can't see anything of the wood grain. Lacquers are available in glossy or matt versions.|
|To brush||Colors that are suitable for painting wood are available in all color nuances. Acrylic paints and chalk paints like a glaze can also be applied heavily diluted, thus allowing the grain of the wood to shine through. The best way to achieve the popular shabby look is with chalk paint.|
Some methods are suitable for both inside and outside. However, you should not use exterior paint for interiors, as this often contains chemical additives that are not suitable for interior use.
Note: While the wood should be untreated for stains and glazes (also with natural dyes), it often has to be primed before painting and varnishing.
2. How do you proceed?
There is the right method for staining wood for every application. Depending on the color, you also need the right painting tool:
- Paint roller
Basically, with all methods you come with one suitable brush well done. However, if you want to work on larger areas when pickling, you should use a sponge for an even result. For acrylic paints and varnishes is for one smooth surface of a paint roller to recommend. When glazing, you can achieve more beautiful effects with a brush.
2.1. Do you need any preparation?If the wood is to retain its natural grain after dyeing, the wood should be untreated. So if you want to build a piece of furniture or a decoration from untreated wood, you can start coloring the wood without further preparation. But if a used piece of furniture or another wooden construction is to be spiced up, it has to The surface should be freed from the contaminated sites. This not only applies to the old paintwork, but also to any treatments with wax or oil as well as dirt.
Even when painted with paint or varnish, the surface must be clean and free of oils or greases. Depending on how smooth the result should be, it has to be with sandpaper in different grains to be worked.
Tip: If you want to clean the wood with water first to remove coarse or superficial dirt, do not add cleaning agents and allow the wood to dry properly before staining.
3. When do I need a primer?
Before pickling, you should prime with water beforehand.
If you want to paint untreated wood with varnish or wood paint, it is advisable to use the wood with a primer before the first coatthat fits the chosen method. This means you need less painting and less work. Because after each coat, the paint must first dry completely before you can sand the surface before the next coat.
3.1. Prime with water
If you have decided on a stain to stain the wood, you can use the wood before painting pre-treat with a little water. This will allow the stain to penetrate deeper into the wood, but the color result will be a little paler. However, this can easily be remedied with a second pickling process." More information
4. Can I also color wood with natural dyes?
If the treated wood is only to be used inside and should look particularly natural, you can use natural dyes environmentally friendly dyeing methods apply. The results are similar to those of staining or glazing." More information
The wood grain is emphasized more strongly and the colors look very natural. However, if you want a strong red, yellow, blue, green or even black, you should use chemical wood dyes.
With coffee or black tea you can make a brew with which you can give untreated wood a dark brown color and bring out the grain. If the shade is still too light after drying, you can use a Iron-vinegar solution darken the paint." More information
Our recommendation: Use the iron-vinegar solution very sparingly, otherwise some tannins may turn almost black.
4.2. How to make an iron and vinegar solution
- Put a handful of old nails or steel wool in a screw-top jar and fill up to half of the jar with vinegar essence.
- Let it stand for at least a day. The longer the solution can draw, the more the effect is more intense later.
4.3. Color the wood lightly
Wood can be colored light with home remedies or paint.
Although you cannot lighten the wood with natural dyes, it does not necessarily have to result in a cool or reddish brown tone. If the first stain is too dark, you can do the whole thing with something dissolved in water Lighten the baking soda a little and give the wood a slightly yellowish tone.
A Sud from walnut shells achieves one in combination with baking soda yellowish hue and a subsequent treatment with an iron-vinegar solution greyish weathered effect.
Green tea causes one by its many tannins very delicate yellowish-green discoloration of the wood.
Note: Since stains made from natural dyes can turn out very differently depending on the type of wood, it is advisable to carry out one or more test stitches on a small piece of wood.
5. Coloring products to wood
- Acrylic paint for wood, paper, cardboard, glass, ceramics and metal. Water-based
- 10 colors - Available in bottles of 15 ml. Colors: white, yellow, orange, blue, red, pink (rose), purple, green, brown, black
- After drying, opaque, opaque, opaque, matt and waterproof.
- Can be diluted with water bi. Colors can be mixed. Painting gives a shiny appearance.
- Safe for children. Nontoxic. Non-toxic. Certified with CE and EN71. Not suitable for children under 36 months.
- 【Outstanding performance】 Good acrylic paint makes it easier for you to create art. Our paint is specially designed to bring out a thick, buttery consistency that makes it easy to mix and match colors. And the light colors are lightfast and dry quickly.
- 【Lasting, vivid colors】 The richly pigmented colors are easy to mix and match to create an attractive spectrum in your work, making the color vivid and permanent no matter what surface you use: stone, wall, wood, glass, fabric , Plastic, clay, paper, etc..
- 【High quality materials】 The water-based acrylic paint is made of high quality raw materials and is non-toxic, odorless and completely safe. So don't be afraid to give these to your child. 12 fun and bright colors bring all of your handicrafts and canvases to life.
- 【For Beginners & Professionals】 The acrylic paint set with brushes offers enough variety for hours of fun and is not only perfect for beginners to practice on small canvas, but also a great addition to any artist collection. Both adults and children love!
- 【Excellent Acrylic Paint Set】 Get some paint and start making art! This selection set includes 12 x 12 ml jars and 3 free brushes so you can start crafting as soon as you open the box. We are sure you will enjoy painting with a good variety of colors!
- 1. Handmade beginners matte violin is suitable for teaching and students to use a solid xylophone, high-quality accessories, universal processing, inexpensive, lacquered, beautiful and shiny appearance of the violin.
- 2. The vibration of the panel itself also helps improve the sound of the piano, making it strong and beautiful. If the violin does not have a panel, the sound of the violin will be very subtle.
- If you are not so satisfied in any way, please do not hesitate to contact us at first before you leave us negative feedback, I will solve all problems for you. Please remember, the order has ended but our service is not yet past.
More interesting articles
- How old were the main Mahabharata characters
- The reservation offices of the Indian railways are closed today
- What does relief mean in property law
- What is the principle of the stepper motor
- How did the actress Paula Williamson die
- What makes shift work so unhealthy?
- Does the IQ option work in South Africa
- How many tasks are carried out in the CPU
- Is eSIM available in Honduras
- This is how an EEE student can apply for IBPS
- Synchrony has a high level of employee satisfaction
- Is someone using more structurally insulated panels
- What examples of roller loading
- How is British and Swedish politics different?
- Who controls the aviation industry in India
- The categorization forms the basis of knowledge
- What are acid-base reactions in chemistry
- Live bugs in your hair
- Why are Slavic Macedonians bigger than Bulgarians?
- There is a shortage of good teachers
- What are the latest SEO tips
- What do Australians think of Italians
- How to customize Oracle SSO
- Why haven't we met time travelers yet
- Why is beer so expensive in London
- How tough is the CSIR NET JRF
- What's your favorite Sunday song
- What is the postcode for billing in Nigeria
- Why are toddlers so talkative
- How common are premature births
- Eat frogs earthworms
- How do I debug the InstallAnywhere installer
- Provide professional fundraising services
- What are the disadvantages of cluster sampling