Who sells hydroponics in India
Alocasia (elephant ear)
The Alocasia belongs to the arum family and comes from the tropics of Asia, mainly from India. It is also known as the elephant ear, taro or giant taro.
Pouring as an earth culture
When watering, avoid that a layer of water forms at the bottom of the plant pot. This waterlogging is unhealthy for the plant. So water the Alocasia so that the soil is always moist but not wet. The exact water requirement depends on the respective plant size, humidity and other factors. The best way to control moisture is to stick your finger deep in the soil. If the soil sticks to your finger, it is still moist and the plant does not need to be watered yet. With a little time you can then determine the correct pouring rhythm.
Watering as hydroponics
For hydroponics you only have to water the elephant ear about once a week, in the winter months even only every 2 weeks. When watering the alocasia, it is best to water until the water level indicator moves. The less the indicator moves, the better, because it shows you when water collects at the bottom of the vessel. Overwatering can cause the roots to rot.
We recommend spraying the Alocasia several times a week with lukewarm rainwater. This enables you to take effective precautions against spider mite infestation.
The Alocasia needs a bright location with a lot of daylight. If the elephant's ear receives too little sunlight, it grows in the direction of the light. Therefore, you should place the alocasia near the window and rotate it regularly. The optimal room temperature is between 15 and 20 ° C.
For optimal health, repot the Alocasia every 2-3 years in spring. This gives the plant new nutrients, loose soil and more space for the roots. Every time you repot, use a pot that is at least 20% larger than the previous one. The larger pot allows the elephant ear to grow faster and the soil can absorb more water, which reduces the risk of waterlogging.
We recommend fertilizing the alocasia about every 2-3 weeks in spring and summer. Since it hardly grows in autumn and winter, fertilization is not necessary during this period. When fertilizing, always keep in mind that too little is better than too much. Therefore, even if you forget to fertilize, do not give the elephant ear more fertilizer than stated on the packaging. Over-fertilization ensures that the soil becomes acidic, which damages the roots.
Alocasia is sensitive to cold, drafty air and water that is too cold. This can cause brown spots on the leaves.
Cutting - trimming
Since the lower leaves become unsightly in the long run, it is advisable to remove them from time to time. By trimming, the plant needs less energy for the old leaves and can form new leaves more quickly.
The Alocasia flowers only very rarely as a houseplant. If the elephant's ear forms flowers, we recommend cutting them off so that the plant can save energy. Often the plant dies due to the strong loss of energy after flowering.
Toxic or Non-Toxic?
The juice of the alocasia is slightly toxic to the skin and mucous membranes. In Asia the roots are often cooked and eaten, but we do not recommend doing this.
Diseases - pests
If the air is dry, the risk of spider mite infestation increases. We therefore recommend spraying the Alocasia regularly with rainwater. In the event of an infestation, it is often sufficient to temporarily put the plant outdoors. Of course, this is only possible if the temperatures allow it.
- How does the Remington Model 700 work
- What is the most advanced photo printer
- What is after God
- Who are butterfly valve distributors in Dubai
- What is metric
- Why is public nudity immoral
- How do I report a cyber scam
- Where was it filmed in Darkness
- What country has a terrible past
- Get the Twitter follower recommendation from the API
- How many leaves does poison oak have
- What is data binning in statistics
- What makes you worthwhile
- Is Poseidon stronger than Hades
- Does anyone live in Antarctica?
- What kind of business would take a long time
- What are Broadway musicals
- Tattooing is part of British culture
- How good is IIM C for finance
- How can I be beautiful inside
- What is a free online library website
- Is the education system out of date?
- What is a nice hotel in Lisbon
- Why did Intel buy McAfee
- How do tangential and radial acceleration differ?
- Benelli is a good brand for bicycles
- How do you say ruthless in German
- The fifth edition of C ++ Primer is still relevant
- What are some facts of surrealist art
- How did Skillshare market itself to students
- What if games were never invented
- What are oleoresins
- What do you think of Dr. Mother-of-pearl
- Why are Americans so naive about Canada?