What are the polar bears' behavioral adaptations
Animal strategies against cold: the 7 best model experiments
Why don't duck feet freeze on ice?
Although ducks have a body temperature of around 40 ° C even in winter, their feet are icy cold. Cold feet have two decisive advantages for them. On the one hand, they cause little heat to be lost to the cold floor. On the other hand, the ducks do not run the risk of thawing the ice on the duck pond and thus freezing under certain circumstances. The enormous temperature gradient from the warm core of the body to the icy feet is maintained by a countercurrent heat exchange. The warm-blooded arteries from the body are very close to the cold-blooded veins from the feet. Due to the proximity, the venous blood is always warmed up on the way to the center of the body and the arterial blood is cooled on the way to the feet. This heat exchange principle can easily be demonstrated in the school laboratory with copper pipes and jam jars.
Short or long? Big or small - what is better for cold zones?
With a large body surface, a lot of heat is lost. According to Allen's rule, the appendages of many species in the polar regions are therefore shorter than those of their relatives in warmer climates. This can be seen, for example, in the comparison of the ears of snow hare, field hare and donkey hare. The loss of heat from a large body surface can also be put into perspective by an enormous body volume. This is reflected in Bergmann's rule. The emperor penguins in the Antarctic are much larger than their smaller relatives on the Galápagos Islands. These differences between the species show a clear adaptation to the habitat. Schoolchildren can explore it themselves using a disposable glove and jam jar.
Why do polar bears have dark skin?
Long, thick fur, small ears and a large body volume - polar bears use several strategies to protect them from heat loss. Her black skin color also supports her in this. The dark color absorbs the thermal energy of the sun's rays best and it warms the polar bear additionally. In this example, students learn that chocolate kisses are not only delicious, but can also be used experimentally.
Exact descriptions and instructions for the model experiments presented here can be found in our booklet "Learning through research: Low Cost".
Lose calories from fat?
Cool weight loss
No energy in winter?
Hibernation: Saving energy as a survival strategy
How do plants keep warm in winter?
Plants that heat up properly
How do insects, vertebrates, and humans survive in freezing cold?
Tricks against the cold - living under extreme conditions
- What exactly is Human-Computer Interaction HCI
- What is the full form of IPBES
- Crocs are a fad
- Why will you never visit Bangladesh again
- Which is the best pubg song
- What is a limited number
- Who is a web application developer
- Why are guava seeds tough
- The human brain has hash tables
- Which subject should an electrical engineer choose?
- Write hard
- What makes Nelly so successful and popular
- How does an electrochemical cell work
- Are you a self-taught musician
- What is MEZ at DAVV Indore
- What is life in nine words
- Why did Louisiana adopt the French legal structure
- How do really religious people testify?
- Can you patch a Cadillac converter
- Is squid eaten by humans
- What is L's lifespan in Death Note
- What is the founding story behind Palantir
- What is the heaviest isotope of gold
- Why do I hate my name Dylan
- Which products can be used for contouring
- What is Roger Waters Email
- What is the busiest Wegmans
- Why can atoms be chemically broken down?
- How can we imagine the bombing of Manchester?
- What is Captain American Shield made of
- How did animal voices get their names?
- What is cloud technology and big data
- How many feet are there in 15 miles?
- Why Get a 409A Rating