What is an AC voltage source
Alternating current and alternating voltage
Tesla is the end-user of alternating current and three-phase current. Both quickly found global use. Without this discovery by Tesla, which made it possible to transmit electrical power over many hundreds of kilometers, there would be no such thing as a matter of course for electricity today, with its enormously versatile applications.
In the case of alternating current and alternating voltage, one speaks of electrical quantities that are specified in the units amperes (A) and volts (V), the values of which repeat themselves regularly over time (t). Alternating current is an electrical current that periodically changes its polarity (direction) and value (current strength). The same applies to the alternating voltage.
There are several types of alternating current. Pure alternating quantities are the square wave voltage, the sawtooth voltage, the triangle voltage and the sinusoidal voltage (wave) or a mixture of all of these variants.
In electrical engineering, AC voltages with a sinusoidal curve are mainly used. The sinusoidal curve has the lowest losses and distortions. Therefore, the following descriptions of the alternating current and the alternating voltage are explained using the sinusoidal curve shape.
Alternating voltage is generated by generators in power plants. A red in the generator rotates 360 degrees. This creates a voltage with alternating polarity, i.e. a sinusoidal curve.
The most important alternating voltage is 230 volts from our power grid. It has a frequency of 50 Hz. That is 50 revolutions per second of a rotor in the generator.
Characteristic values of the sinusoidal voltage
- Instantaneous value and amplitude
- Period and frequency
Instantaneous value and amplitude
Since an alternating voltage never has a constant voltage value, electrical alternating quantities whose time dependency is to be shown are referred to as instantaneous values (instantaneous values). These instantaneous values are indicated by a lower case letter (formula symbol).
Maximum or peak values of the amplitude of sinusoidal, time-dependent alternating quantities are indicated by a roof over the symbol. Examples would be the voltage û (pronounced: u-roof) and the current î (pronounced: i-roof).
If the peak value is known, the instantaneous value can be calculated at any angle of rotation λ (= 0 ° ... 360 °).
Period and frequency
The positive and negative half-waves of an oscillation are called the period. The time required to run through the period is the period duration Τ. The period Τ is specified in seconds.
The frequency indicates the number of periods that are passed through in one second. The frequency is given in Hertz (Hz).
The frequency is the reciprocal of the period duration. This means that the shorter the period, the greater the frequency.
Characteristic values of a sine curve
Other related topics:
Electronics simple and easy to understand
The electronics primer is a book about the basics of electronics, components, circuit technology and digital technology.
I want that!
Experience electronics with the "Starter Edition" electronics set
Perfect for beginners and newcomers
- Entry into electronics without prior knowledge
- Quick understanding of components and circuit symbols
- Experiment without a soldering iron: just insert components
More information Order the electronics set now
- Can nurses in Canada use marijuana in their spare time?
- How can you define conscious thinking
- What is the national song of Japan
- Is TV statically random
- Should I stay in high school?
- Lifeplus is a scam
- What happened to Kakashi's dogs
- What five countries did Napoleon defeat?
- What is the postcode for Somalia
- Was Abraham really married to his sister?
- Are amoxicillin and erythromycin the same thing
- What is the Cartesian view
- Shawarma is a kebap
- Would China ever dissolve Alibaba?
- What can I wear with green chinos
- What is the example of structural isomers
- Shall we get what we deserve?
- Management Consulting What is Accenture Interactive
- Why machine learning is booming in 2019
- Why did my husband hit me
- How common are collective mental illnesses
- What are your feelings made of
- How do I apply for Google India
- What are the factors for work hardening