When would we see 12k TVs
Blind test: users cannot determine any difference between 4K and 8K
What do the 4K and 8K resolutions mean?
Basically, the terms 4K and 8K are not used correctly. TV manufacturers often speak of a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 pixels for 4K, while 8K is specified with a resolution of 7,680 x 4,320 pixels. However, 4,096 x 2,160 pixels or 8,192 x 4,320 pixels would be correct. 8K offers four times the amount of pixels compared to 4K and thus represents more details. In theory this sounds logical, of course, in practice, however, this is not quite as clear as a current blind study shows that Warner Bros. LG, Amazon and Pixar together with of the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC).
Experimental setup - This is how the test was carried out
Seven 10-second clips were prepared in native 8K without compression. These come from films and series such as “Dunkirk”, Pixar's “Das große Krabbeln”, Merida, Amazon's “The Tick” and a photo of nature. The two animated films were rendered again in 8K in order to meet the requirements.
Then you scaled the recordings down to 4K and then up again. This gives you a polished 4K image in 8K format. This measure was taken because all clips were shown on the EUR 30,000 LG 88Z9-8K OLED TV and the intention was to prevent the TV from displaying the resolution when changing clips. Using a powerful PC and various converters, the signal was finally transmitted via HDMI 2.1.
A total of 139 people took part in the study, whose eyesight was also checked beforehand. The clips were played in three sequences. The first two ran according to the A-B-A-B scheme, with the designations "A" and "B" being assigned at random. In the third sequence, on the other hand, you play the 4K version four times and keep the names.
Conclusion: more is not always better
Overall, the ratings of the participants showed that the 8K clips only appear marginally better than the 4K variants. Those responsible therefore came to the conclusion that the differences between 4K and 8K are insignificant under normal conditions and also depend on the distance and visual capabilities. In addition, 4K already offers as much detail as most people can perceive.
In addition, 4K televisions are not a standard, so it is unclear how long it will take for 8K devices to reach the mass market as well. Similar to current models, internal upscalers will then probably extrapolate the incoming image material. However, this always depends on the hardware and software that is used. It remains to be seen whether these additional costs for the 8K devices will be worthwhile. The production studios are currently showing little interest in native 8K content, although 4K is still far from being a universal standard in the industry and is often simply upscaled in order to sell 4K versions at high prices.
Can you tell a difference? Let us know in the comments.
Apple iPad Pro (11 Inch, Wi-Fi, 64GB) - Space Gray (Latest Model)
- How does a robot program
- How does a P2P network work
- What's apple next big thing
- Why is Mahendra International School the best
- How do you explain under painting
- Can an antisocial person ever succeed
- What are the polar bears' behavioral adaptations
- How does Nifty 50 rise and fall
- Hiring top guest
- Is PPC good for freelance work
- What government jobs are good for girls
- Who is not the most underrated BTS member?
- Why was China so difficult to conquer
- What are your biggest daily challenges
- Tornadoes can fall behind a storm
- What are CNC springs
- How can a perfect callback be trained
- Is 118 a film hit or flop
- What was the greatest success of Project Veritas
- What's your favorite reverb trick
- Women find Aleksandar Vucic attractive
- Which is the best ringtones website
- How do I calculate a pipe outside diameter
- What are some examples of incurable cancers
- Why do students read late in the evening
- Can minors be charged with perjury
- Why is iodine important
- What causes infection after ingrown toenail surgery
- Is there a lightning bolt in space
- Why use Super Keyword in Java 1
- Aswathama deserves all respect
- What is conventional electricity 1
- What does a liter bottle look like
- How do I change the keyboard settings