Do you need car insurance in the UK?


In theory, there would be no reason to de-register the car in Germany and register it in Great Britain if you are not staying there for more than six months a year. And even if it is for once a seventh or eighth month that you drive around England with it (perhaps with short interruptions), no one is interested in it. But you should adhere to the TÜV intervals: British police officers also know the German TÜV sticker language.

Vehicle registration in England

De-registering and re-registering a car that has previously been registered abroad in England is not particularly expensive, but it is a laborious process. If you want to take it upon yourself, you have to de-register your car at the registration office at home, hand in the license plates and apply for an export license plate to be assigned. They are valid for seven days in Germany, then a maximum of four weeks abroad until registration at your place of residence there.

The re-registration implies an examination of your car by a MOTStation ahead (MOT = Ministry of Transport, corresponds to our TÜV). A number plate is assigned by the central office Driver & Vehicle Licensing Center ( DVLC) in Swansea. You can do that AA or that RAC join and leave the procedure to one of the offices responsible for this (information on telephone 0336 401 983: 50p per minute) - or you would rather decide to leave the car in Germany and buy one in England.

British-made new vehicles only barely hold their own against European and Japanese import brands. The competition is correspondingly tough; the trade undercuts itself with discounts and free extras. Some agencies of Italian and French brands even offer free insurance for two years. The cheapest offers are in July - because the new model and registration year in England always begins in August. Car financing costs around 11% APR. so much more than with us.

The range of new and used cars in England is immense. Above all, one-year company cars with low kilometers (miles) can be obtained cheaply. The practice in Great Britain of providing employees with a company car even in middle positions is much more pronounced than in our country, with many companies changing their car fleets every year. Transferring a used car to a new owner is free of charge. In any case, a new log book is issued (corresponds to our vehicle registration document, there is no German-style letter); Proof of MOT or insurance are not required.

The UK road tax

Vehicle tax in England is a flat £ 150 per year on all cars. Vehicles built before December 31, 1973 are tax-free - a paradisiacal condition for classic car enthusiasts! Brand new vehicles have to go to the MOT for the first time after three years, and then every year. Many car repair shops also have an MOT Testing Center and offer their customers a pick-up and delivery service.

When the annual tax is due, the car owner receives a message from the DVCL. With this letter, proof of the existing insurance and - if required at the same time - the current MOT certificate, you go to a post office, pay the annual tax and receive a vignette as a receipt ( license disc) which is glued to a corner of the windshield. Without this vignette, a vehicle with British registration is not allowed to use public roads.

Car insurance

There is the same competition among insurance companies in England as we are. One lures with bonuses for garage cars, for the presence of an alarm system, for not driving at night. Driving license aspirants are allowed, until they have passed their driving test, to unsettle public roads at the steering wheel of any car ( provisional license), provided they are accompanied by a driver's license holder, a sign with a red L (for Learner) and are not allowed to Motorway to use.

Another specialty that doesn't exist with us deserves a mention. It concerns an insurance that can be taken out against the withdrawal of a driver's license for driving too fast (not for being drunk). The " St. Christopher Driver Plan«Pays the cost of a rental car including chauffeur every month for the duration of a year - not permanently, but for the daily commute from home to work and for other important business and private trips. The annual premium for this insurance is £ 180.

This article is an excerpt from Living and working in England.

By Just Landed

Other recommended articles

Did this article help you?

do you have feedback, an update or a question about this topic? Comment here: