Will electric planes really be the norm?
European standard is supposed to bring healthier cabin air
The aviation industry and workers' organizations have been fighting over the risk of polluted cabin air for years. «Not really measurable», it says on the one hand, «clearly harmful to health», on the other. A kind of war of faith is raging around the topic of aerotoxic syndrome.
The background to the dispute is the way in which breathing air is generated in most modern aircraft - with the exception of the Boeing 787. It is obtained unfiltered from the engines. The technical term for this is called bleed air. If engine oil burns, poisonous fumes with the neurotoxin TCP may be produced. And these can get into the passenger compartment via this mechanism.
No binding regulation
Indeed, there are occasional instances where passengers, flight attendants, and pilots complain of inexplicable, sudden drowsiness, headaches, and nausea. But how dangerous is that really and is it really the fault of the bleed air? "The incidence of incapacity for work and death is 400 percent higher for pilots than for occupational groups that are not exposed to such fumes," says British expert Susan Michaelis. According to industry representatives, there is no demonstrable connection between cabin air and health problems.
Nevertheless, a working group of the European Committee for Standardization CEN has been working on a standard for cabin air under the project name TC 436 for six years. And in September she apparently wants to submit her first proposal for a regulation, writes the newspaper Handelsblatt. But it will not be binding. Because to do this, the EU Commission would have to officially prescribe it.
Among other things, better education
But that is hardly to be expected. The scientific evidence for the aerotoxic syndrome and the industry's defensive stance are too unclear. In the end, it will therefore stick to recommendations. Only better maintenance, better training and employee awareness should be prescribed, according to the Handelsblatt.
- Many professional entertainers are narcissists
- What is x if 6x 6x 48
- Has anyone ever been bullied by LGBTQ people
- How common is primary ciliary dyskinesia
- You can swim an 11 mile reservoir
- What does ESR 85
- Does utilitarianism support the death penalty Why
- Why did you finish the Chartered Accountancy course
- What is the most overrated lifestyle change
- What is meant by rigorous?
- What is ribose sugar
- Why doesn't judging people stop?
- What is the importance of concrete technology
- What options are there to deactivate AdBlock?
- How can you determine the skin type
- How does your favorite fruit taste
- Is the universe filled with Higgs bosons
- What language did the Lakota speak
- Is National Socialism still active?
- How does wedge salad taste
- Did the Chinese invade Scotland?
- How do I know the preference of a professor?
- Why shouldn't I become a criminal?
- What are the different Gundam qualities
- What caused global depression
- Do Indians prefer Bollywood or Hollywood
- How can people hold a grudge forever
- How should I cure pus pimples
- Is crypto currency worth the environmental cost
- What makes BuzzFeed an unreliable news agency
- What is the structure of pentanamide
- What if Phobos hits Mars right now?
- What is a vocal prophecy