Dependent Visa for Master’s Students in Australia

Student visa to Australia

Australian Student Visa FAQs (German Students)

What is a real student?

To meet this criterion, you will need to demonstrate that you have a legitimate interest in studying, that you have sufficient language skills to manage the education, and that you have the correct educational background for the degree you wish to attend .

You also need to have your finances in order. In addition, you must intend to comply with visa regulations.

What is a Real Temporary Participant?

A true temporary participant is someone who intends to enter Australia temporarily to study there (or to be a student's guardian) and then return to their home country.

There are a number of factors to consider in making this assessment:

  • The country you live in. Is there something that is holding you back from coming back?
  • Will studying in Australia really be an advantage for you in the future?
  • Your immigration history.
  • Other matters of interest

If in doubt, you may need to have a face-to-face interview at the nearest Australian embassy. However, most applications only need to be completed online.

What is good character?

Basically, you shouldn't be a criminal or have been in jail for a long time. For this reason, if you have been in jail, your visa may be refused. In some cases, you will need to provide a certificate of punishment or a police certificate.

What are the health requirements?

You have to be healthy. You may need to have a medical exam and / or an X-ray to prove this. If this is necessary for you, you will need to see a doctor appointed by the Australian Immigration Service.

The student visa does not include health insurance. Every student, with the exception of students from Norway and Belgium, must take out health insurance called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). You can buy this from your university or from other companies that sell it. Swedish students only need to do this if they have not already taken out insurance with CSN International or Kammarkollegiet.

Is there an age limit?

No, it does not exist. There are no age restrictions on the student visa as long as you are accepted by a university or school. For example, it is different from a Working Holiday Visa, which is restricted to applicants aged 18 to 31.

Can my family follow if I have a student visa?

Yes, they can follow you to Australia.

If you are under 18 you must have a guardian. Your parents or relatives can apply for a student protection visa and accompany you on your trip to Australia. Your visa has the same validity as your student visa.

Can I work on a student visa?

Yes, a student visa allows limited working hours of a maximum of 40 hours in a period of two weeks. You can work full-time on public holidays.

Working part-time can be a great way to pay for housing and give you extra money. However, before you can start working, you will need a tax filing number and a bank account with an Australian bank.

Remember that if you arrive earlier, you will not be allowed to work at all before the course starts.

The right to work also applies to family members traveling with you (spouse and children). However, family members may not exceed 20 hours per week during the holiday periods.

Can I study part-time and work part-time?

No, you should attend full-time studies to qualify as a student visa. If you want to study less than full time, you should look into other visa options. In such cases, a Working Holiday Visa may be a better solution.

What kind of course can I take?

Any type of course as long as it is approved by the Australian Government for overseas students.

I don't have a letter of admission (CoE). Can I still apply?

No, you must obtain a CoE before you can submit the application. Applying for a visa is one of the last steps on the way to Australia to study. First, you need to apply to and be accepted by a university or school in Australia. You must also confirm this in writing and pay the deposit for the tuition fee. You can only apply for a visa after you have received confirmation of enrollment from the university.

I am already in Australia on another visa. Can I still apply for a student visa?

Yes, in most cases you can apply for a student visa in Australia. If your visa stipulates “no further stay”, you cannot apply in Australia. In this case, you must leave the country before you can apply.

I already had a working holiday visa. Can I still get a student visa?

Yes, that does not affect the decision. It is also possible to get a new student visa if you already had one, as long as you get a new CoE from a university or school.

What is the turnaround time?

Usually 1-3 weeks under normal circumstances. The processing time can also be longer if you have to complete your application with additional documents. Please register in good time before the planned travel date.